Monday, October 15, 2012

First Bird

A bird in the hand is worth two in the library?  No.  That's not right.  The early bird gets the library book? No, that's not right either. Birds of a feather, read together... Where am I going with this?

Well, glad you asked.  I have been wanting to start a blog about library 'stuff' (and by that I mean PHSChemGuy talked me into it), and I thought today, while chasing a bird around the library, today would be a good day to start that Blog.  Why not.  My job description says nothing about wild animal hunting, and yet, that is what we do here in the library.  We field whatever is thrown at us (you thought I was going to make a connection between wild animals and adolescents didn't you? Too obvious).  And most days we handle what is thrown at us with grace and humor. 

But some days we feel like that bird.  A little overwhelmed at the noise and confusion.  A little trapped by things out of our control.  A little frustrated at running into the glass windows.  A little afraid for our students.  But most days we have laughter and learning. 

Thank you sparrow for entering our library today.  Even though it was a short time, your little visit got us laughing and working as a team.  Mama Z (Media Paraprofessional Extraordinaire that you will undoubtedly hear more about later) followed the birdie with a box and begged it not to hurt itself. Mr. McMullen (whom I must come up with a snazzier name for for my Blog) just sat and worked and yet informed us that it was a sparrow in our hunt for a bird call on a student's phone. One student held open the outside door.  One student downloaded a bird whistle to coax the bird to the open door (see above).  One student hid under the desk.  Several students paid no attention and continued to work.  And finally one student wielded a net from the Science department and helped me usher the bird to its freedom. 

Is that what we do here in the library? Usher little birdies to their freedom?  Possibly. Is this post a rambling venture into the Blogosphere trying to make profound connections?  Probably.  But it has been an interesting day, and with 1,400 young adults under one roof, I'm certain it will be more interesting as the day proceeds; not to mention the weeks, months and hopefully years ahead of me and this blog.

Next task, learn Glogster.
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice entrance to the world, bird friend! As the future Bird of Paradise in what will most certainly be the coolest media space in the state, I'm glad to see that you'll be documenting this journey.

    My 10 year old taught by 7 year old Glogster yesterday - I'm certain you will be successful!

    Glad you continue to "spread your wings" - Amy

    ReplyDelete